[squid-users] Server outputs "TCP: time wait bucket table overflow" in syslog and crashes

From: Christoph Fink <Christoph_at_prism.it>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:26:45 +0200

Hi Squid Users,

I have a server running Debian Squeeze and Squid3 (version 3.1.6 from
Debian repo). It is configured using winbind+ntlm for authentication.
The server ran fine for a while now (I'd say 6 months more or less) but
now I get a lot of "TCP: time wait bucket table overflow" errors in
syslog. After ~30 minutes the system then begins killing processes and
reboots. First I thought that the problem was that the server had not
enough RAM. I upgraded from 512MB to 1GB but the problem still existed.
Then I controlled on the VMware Host (the server is a virtual machine
running on a ESX Cluster) about the performance datas and I saw that
performance was not the issue (Memory, CPU and all the other counters
are at 30% max.). About 50 people are using that proxy Server.

There are no other services running on that Server. It's just squid3,
samba (for winbind) and apache (only hosting the proxy.pac).

Squid Configuration file:
http://pastebin.com/5yngPt3c

Syslog:
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|328p7|3795742803|thaler_proxy_syslog|3
60|R~567C52AFDB0A7D870EDC91BF7F971EB3|0|0

I didn't find unusual entries in the squid logs btw.

Thank you in advance.
Christoph Fink