Re: [squid-users] i'm getting a lot of output in my cache.log about status_code acl

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 05:10:43 +0300

On 12/06/2012 04:21, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 12.06.2012 11:19, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>> On 11/06/2012 08:56, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>

>>> You have your debug options set to display important messages, not just
>>> critical ones.
>>>
>>> It is important to be aware your "cache deny REDIRECT" is not working as
>>> you designed.
>>>
>>> Amos
>> .. do you have any suggestion on how to make it work to not cache a
>> 302 code response ?
>>

> Not with the existing design. processReply() in http.cc needs to be
> altered to run some access directive similar to "cache" in order to cope
> with responses.
>
> Is this for your system with ICAP service to cache YouTube? You can add
> no-store control to the 3xx response with RESPMOD pre-cache.
>
> Amos

well it is indeed for this service.
it works so great and i so proud of it becasue it the first "squid 3X
based cache objects management of dynamic content such as youtube"

the idea was somewhere in my head and i started implementing it a long
time ago but for a more complicated setup then youtube.
now i had the muse and took the time to actually test it all and make
sure that it works great for every implementation i have ever put my
hands on until now.
i also added some code to collect live data using icap and i got only
for youtube for the last 3 days a 600+ hits from a sum of 1900+ requests
on one server on a 10 MB DSL line.
it's about 1.7 MB * 600 = about 9GB from 31GB sum was served from cache
for dynamic content only.
it's the first time that i can get statistics from squid access.log with
just about one line of commands.

the idea of no-store been done already.
thanks for the idea.

i am working on a better way to manage the objects on the cache itself
by side to the lru\heap algorithms.
by that i mean that by statistics on objects to shorten or extend their
life span in the cache using htcp.

i think that it's a much more efficient way to manage a cache and not to
get into a point that you are storing thousands of files on a web server
directory and serv them to the client.

by the way there were some stories about that trying to to cancel the
"range" requests of youtube wont work.
well it seems like it works fine but the player as a burst\throttle
mechanism that treats the download with specific speed to avoid
bandwidth abuse.
so it's better to cache the range requests so the clients will get a
better speed from the player..

Thanks,
Eliezer

--