[squid-users] Outlook 2010 crashing on gzip-encoded proxied internet calendars

From: Pim Zandbergen <pim_at_zandbergen.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:46:31 +0200

Last tuesday, all our Outlook users noticed their Outlook would crash
immediately after starting. This caused quite some stir in our organization.

After extensive investigation, it turned out to be an internet calendar
that was crashing Outlook. All the crashing Outlooks were subscribed to
http://ical.mac.com/ical/Dutch32Holidays.ics

This URL used to redirect to some other URL, but since tuesday it redirects
to http://files.apple.com/calendars/Dutch32Holidays.ics

Using Wireshark, I noticed the calender is sent gzip encoded. It looks like
Outlook does not like that, even though Outlook appears to send an
"Accept-Encoding: compress, gzip" header.

But without squid as intermediate, Outlook does not seem to send an
Accept-Encoding header, and thus receives the internet calendar
uncompressed.

Some people in our organization jumped to the conclusion that squid is
the cause of this problem.

What could explain this behaviour?

Thanks,
Pim