Re: [squid-users] Re: squid with pdns, bandwidth control issue

From: Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:14:24 +0500

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 29/06/2012 11:02 p.m., Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

>>> Uhm, the entire network connectivity to a box going slow because one
>>> application is running...
>>
>> sorry i didnt get your point, i mean i am working in a small network
>> with just 30 nodes and i think it should easily handle the 30 node
>> network becuase in my last company i was using IPCOP which was an
>> excellent firewall with squid and it runs well with 120 users with
>> same specs, btw what do you mean by "my box is slow becuase one
>> application is running"
>

> The buffer bloat description should explain it a bit better than I can.
> Essentially there is no reason why ping should be affected so badly by Squid
> (or any other program) moving TCP packets. Regardless of the number of users
> or network size. But due to buffer and queue problems, it often does.
>

>> note : i am using KVM virtual machine.
>

> Hmm. IIRC there was some problem found a year ago with virtual machines. We
> narrowed it down to something inside the image. Newely created VM had no
> issues but cloned ones (even cloned from a fresh new image) would go very
> slow under load for no identifiable reason. Your issue might be that.

yes i am using a clone of the orignal VM. right now i have deleted the
orignal one and i have already performe a lot of work in the machine.
so creating a new one mean i have to work on the new one alot.

any suggestion how to come out of this issue. instead waisting of time
in installing a new VM.

so which way to go. bufforblot or KVM how can i troublshoot and how
can i fix this issue in debian lenny?

Thanks