Re: [squid-users] Outlook 2010 crashing on gzip-encoded proxied internet calendars

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:22:00 +1200

On 30/06/2012 4:46 a.m., Ed W wrote:
> On 29/06/2012 14:14, Pim Zandbergen wrote:
>> Could it be squid is feeding Outlook a gzip encoded cached calendar,
>> which was previously received by Thunderbird? Would that be a squid bug?
>
> Aha, yes, isn't there only partial support for vary in squid right
> now? You might want to dump the vary headers for the response with
> the different Accept-Encoding headers and compare?
>
> Ed W

Incomplete in that Squid will only store one variant at a time. Yes.
Complete enough to work when Vary: is sent properly.

The behaviour as described can occur:

1) if the server is emitting both non-compressed and compressed content,
without setting a Vary: header on the compressed content.

2) if there is some software in the way to the server forcibly adding
Accept-Encoding:gzip. Other proxies make that easy and a lot of admin
seem to enjoy doing this to their clients for some strange reason.

The URL provided earlier appears to be a private URL, so I can't test it
with redbot.org or squidclient to see if those suspicions are correct or
not.

Pim, you will have to locate the headers between Squid and the Server.
For Outlook and for those other client software. That will require a
"tcpdump -s 0" trace with your version of Squid.

Amos