Re: [squid-users] Re: squid with pdns, bandwidth control issue

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:43:45 +0100

On 02/07/2012 14:12, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> after limiting my bandwidth using delaypool, things seems OK.
> BTW i thought that Squid would be doing it automatically.

All the research on TCP up until very recently has been how to
*maximise* the amount of data flowing down a given pipe. Only recently
has there been a lot more thought into single streams NOT trying to
maximise the flow to match the pipe size...

No systems right now really do anything other than try to download as
fast as possible (arguably latest bittorrent clients with this fancy new
reinvention of a tcp alike protocol are the only exception I can think
of). If you DONT want to max out a given pipe then you need to
configure this in some way

Note you may have other problems which you might want to tune as well as
delay pools...

Ed W