[squid-users] Optimising squid cache for USB flash drives

From: haggismn <haggismn_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 07:17:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I am a bit of a noob with squid, as well as USB flash storage, so please
bear with me.

I have squid up and running on a USB equipped dd-wrt router. I have plugged
in a 8gb USB flash drive, of which 4gb are allocated for the squid cache.
Currently I am using mostly default settings, ie cache_dir ufs
/mnt/sda1/cache 4096 16 256

I am aware that by using a USB flash drive with squid, the lifespan of the
drive will be greatly decreased, due to the limited number of write cycles
each block on the disk has. I was therefore wondering if it is possible to
set up the caching so that it reduces the number of writes made onto the
disk. I have been looking at options like minimum_object_size, which I have
set to 8 KB, thus reducing the number of small files written. Will this help
in any way? Are there other measure I can take which might help? I have been
looking at using COSS storage, with a low max-stripe-waste, with the
intention that this might reduce write frequency. As far as I can tell, this
will write to the disk in 1MB chunks. Might this help by any chance? Are
there any other measures that might help, for example formatting the flash
drive in a certain way (although likely limited to FAT32).

Thanks in advance