Re: [squid-users] How to optimize squid config for live flash video streaming?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:53:48 +1200

On 21/07/2012 5:58 a.m., J DJ wrote:
> My squid proxy is not caching (using the "cache deny all" in
> squid.conf), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or
> resources on how to optimize it for live flash video streaming?

There is no optimization for live streaming without caching.
The Squid collapsed-forwarding feature for splitting single response to
multiple clients relies on responses being cacheable (even if not
stored) so that multiple clients are *allowed* to receive them. Live
streams are usually marked as non-cacheable, and Flash video is even
worse since each stream has different framing intervals depending on
when each client connected with adaptive bitrate frames depending on
each clients individual end-to-end latency.

This assumes the stream is an HTTP data stream. A lot of streams these
days are ICY protocol, even if displayed by a Flash script interpreter.

Amos