[squid-users] 100% CPU

From: Hank Disuko <gourmetcisco_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:05:13 -0400

Hi folks,

I'm using:

Squid Cache version 3.0.STABLE13 for i686-suse-linux

This cache has been running well for at least a couple years, or more. As of yesterday, my squid process started using 100% CPU and users on the proxy are experiencing extremely slow Internet speeds.

I've disabled caching (thinking it was maybe a cache issue), but the problem remains.

I've tried strace on the squid process, but I don't know what I'm even looking for. As for syscalls, I see lots of reads and writes.

It seems to be a particular user, or number of users running something through the proxy that is causing the CPU to spike. This morning everything was find for a couple hours with users on it...CPU was behaving...then within a minute or so it spiked and remained pegged at 100%. Would a video or audio stream cause something like this? A very large download?

Thanks,
Matt