Re: [squid-users] How to make Allow/Deny Rules process faster ...

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:06:44 +1200

On 16.08.2012 10:17, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have Squid version 3.1.19 running on our network and everything
> works OK
> but we have noticed that rules set up to allow and deny access tend
> to be a
> little slow.
>
> So, if an application that we have set to be allowed on our network
> runs it
> takes a while for it to connect becaue Squid is processing a rule for
> the
> port for that application. Once Squid allows the application to
> connect (via
> the "CONNECT" method) then everything works fine but it takes a long
> time
> (30-60 seconds) for the rule allowing that application to connect to
> apply.
>
> What can I do to fix this?

Start with showing us the access configuration please.

So far all we can say is "well, you start with optimizing the order",
but can't point you at particular details. For example do you have
several million regex patterns being processed? or a slow DNA lookup?

Once the order is streamlined for minimal tests performed it is easier
to debug test and see where the remaining bottlenecks are.

Amos