Re: [squid-users] upgrade but leave earlier version running?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 22:12:50 +0300

On 8/17/2012 8:20 PM, J Webster wrote:
> Is there a way to install the new version of squid and leave 2.6 running
> and then swpa them over once I am sure everything in verison 3 is
> running on the server ok?
> I don;t believe CentOS 5.8 has anything in the repos above 2.6 so is
> there a way I can use yum without installing from source and compiling?
you can try using rpm of fedora 15-17 but there is a chance you will get
some problems.

if you ask me i recommend to compile from source anyway to fit your
specific needs.

if you are up for the task you can create an rpm yourself on other
centos 5.8 similar machine and install the rpm or compile and copy the
binary files.

if you really want to make sure that everything works on the new server
you should create a test machine first to make sure everything works
there and then continue a procedure of upgrade with backup on the way
and rollover plan to be safe.

Regards,
Eliezer

--