[squid-users] want squid 3.1.10 to stop giving IPv6 errors fetching www.google​.com

From: Bennett Haselton <bennett_at_peacefire.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:51:43 -0700

I installed squid 3.1.10 on CentOS 6.3 with the default squid.conf.
When I test it out from localhost:

[root_at_33736 ~]# telnet localhost 3128
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET http://www.google.com/ HTTP/1.0

(followed by two carriage returns), it waits about three minutes and
then outputs an error page saying:

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
http://www.google.com/
Connection to 2607:f8b0:4004:800::1014 failed.
The system returned: (110) Connection timed out

This didn't happen with Squid 2.6 which I was using previously, but it
happens with squid 3.1.10, and it only happens with certainly websites
-- namely, these sites all time out with errors similar to the above,
when requested through squid:
http://www.google.com
http://www.yahoo.com
http://www.facebook.com

but these do not:
http://www.peacefire.org
http://www.cnn.com
http://www.slate.com

This leads me to think that because of something to do with IPv6 in
the new version of Squid, it's failing only for certain sites
(presumably sites that are IPv6 enabled?).

What is the irreducible minimum change I need to make to my squid
configuration so that it will not time out when requesting these
sites? I have already read
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq
and
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/IPv6/

but they don't explicitly answer the question of how to make squid
stop giving these errors for IPv6-enabled sites and work exactly the
way it did before.

Also is there a way to tell (i.e. a command to type) to see if a
website is IPv6 enabled and hence whether or not it would fail in my
correct configuration? (So that if building future test cases, I can
have some cases for sites that are IPv6 enabled and some that are
not.)