Re: [squid-users] File corruption with reverse proxy

From: Andy Osborne <andy_at_oznet.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:22:20 +0100

On 28/08/12 17:51, Marcus Kool wrote:

> On 08/28/2012 10:21 AM, Andy Osborne wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> The corruption doesn't always occur but when it does it looks
>> like a few contiguous bytes getting one or two bits flipped.
>
> It is extremely unlikely that a few bits get flipped by
> Squid, the netowrk layer or any other component except
> non-ECC memory.
> Does the server that runs Squid have ECC or non-ECC memory?
>
> Marcus

I'm pretty sure it's not a server hardware problem (It's EEC).
It's only affecting a very small proportion of users and there's
a clear split between those who see the problem most/all of
the time and those that never do. RAM errors aren't that
selective. RAM errors also tend to make a server unstable
which isn't the case.

I still think it's probably a Windows bug, but I can't explain
why when we find a client with the problem, it only shows
up when going via Squid and not if they pull the same content
directly from an origin server.

Andy