Re: [squid-users] Migration from Squid 2 to 3: ACLs no longer accepting duplicates

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:45:57 +1200

On 29.08.2012 09:53, Derek Simon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am migrating a Squid 2.7 server to Squid 3.1.
>
> In 2.7 I was using the Shallalists without issue, after prefixing
> each line with a period, as prescribed:
> http://www.shallalist.de/faq.html#squid
>
> I would reference them in squid.conf as such:
> acl SL_Adv dstdomain "adv/domains.squid"
>
> I more or less copied these ACL lines from the 2.7 conf to the 3.1
> and I get the following errors when reparsing:
>
> Processing: acl SL_Adv dstdomain
> "/etc/squid3/lists/shallalist/adv/domains.squid"
> WARNING: You should remove '.addesktop.com' from the ACL named
> 'SL_Adv'
> WARNING: You should remove '.addesktop.com' from the ACL named
> 'SL_Adv'
> ERROR: You should remove '.ads360.com' from the ACL named 'SL_Adv'
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 732: acl SL_Adv dstdomain
> "/etc/squid3/lists/shallalist/adv/domains.squid"
> Squid Cache (Version 3.1.19): Terminated abnormally.
>
> What gives? I used to get the warnings in 2.7, and I understand the
> splay tree performance issue, but why is this now fatal behavior in
> 3.1?

It is a warning when the wildcard '.addesktop.com' is listed before any
of the sub-domains ('www.addesktop.com'). We can easily drop the
sub-domain and keep the wildcard.

It is a problem (ERROR and die) when a wildcard is what Squid will be
dropping. The wildcard is probably the one that needs to be kept, but it
is too late for Squid to remove entries from the built portion of the
values tree.

Amos