Re: [squid-users] Question about Traffic Filtering

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:54:55 +1200

On 29.08.2012 03:59, Tony Litterio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to know if the Web Traffic that proxies through Squid is
> able to be scanned by Trend Micro virus software that we have
> installed on our server?

How do you expect us to know that?
  You have not stated what versions of Squid or Trend you are using.
Most modern AV support ICAP scanning and can be plugged into current
Squid versions via that protocol.
  Note; there is a performance impact from ICAP wrapping the traffic
scanning it and unwrapping again, so be sure your existing server has
enough spare capacity to handle ~30% efficiency/speed reduction even at
peak traffic times.

>  The reason I ask is we have a secured LAN
> that needs access to only a few web sites and they do not have virus
> software installed on the workstations.

Then you do not have a properly secured LAN. There are many other ways
malware propagates than HTTP infections. To be properly secured I
suggest you install client-end AV or AM tools as well.

Amos