Re: [squid-users] Information about the client IP and etc

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 11:24:18 +1200

On 06.09.2012 00:55, a bv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Through one of my squid proxies i open whatismyip.com with browser
> and
> there are some extra information seen there (my proxy server host
> name
> my client IP etc). How can i prevent this leakege?

What leakage? The IP protocol requires some details to be transfered in
order for packets to be delivered correctly.

The common misconception is that the proxy needs to be hidden. When the
reverse is true if anything. The proxy is what needs to be visible. The
"private" client details are often just anonymous RFC 1918 IP addresses.

> I found a tag
> forwarded_for and made it off at squid.conf but after i squid -k
> reconfigured and tried again with browser i get the same information
> again nothing seem to change. How can i prevent this?

That forwarded-for header is how Squid passes on the client IP to
upstreams which require it. Setting that to off is the way to do it in
Squid.

whatismyip.com uses a lot of different tricks to locate the data, most
of them are completely unrelated to any proxy (Web bugs, Cookies,
Javascript, etc).

Amos