Re: [squid-users] Impressions of 3.2.1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:30:29 +1200

On 11.09.2012 07:54, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:
> I posted a message here some days ago (subject : squid 3.2.1 on
> solaris). Got no answer. It seems a similar problem.

No. These are two different bugs.

> Migrating from 3.1.19 to 3.2.1.
>
> squid continuously die with : FATAL: Received Segment
> Violation...dying.

Some invalid pointer reference or such in the code. We need a debug
backtrace to identify where exactly this violation is occuring.
see http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BugReporting for details,
including tricks for doing it with zero-downtime in production proxies.

> Setting debug option to configuration file, I get :
>
> 2012/09/04 12:06:11.412 kid1| storeCreate: Selected dir 0 for
> -1_at_-1=0/2/1/1
> FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.
>
> I reinitialized the cache_dir partition, but this changes nothing.
>
> I have another machine, same hardware same OS but no cache, which
> works fine.
>
> Sunil K.P. wrote:
>> Not sure what exactly the problem.
>>
>> Got this error again.
>> 2012/09/10 20:36:22 kid1| FATAL: dying from an unhandled exception:

Some part of the code is using Must() to check required internal state
but the matching exception is not being caught properly. These are
tricky since the usual debug backtrace only shows main() as the problem.
We require a debug_options ALL,9 trace to see exactly where Squid is up
to in the code when it happens, and may require some patching to add
extra debugs messages to narrow it down further.

Please ensure both of these are reported as bugs separately with the
above mentioned required information.

Amos