Re: [squid-users] prevent attempts to go outside for any noncached objects during offline_mode on

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:45:55 +1200

On 11.09.2012 02:10, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>> On 9/10/2012 2:48 PM, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have read on working of offline_mode in the list. It is an
>>> aggressive caching parameter which prevent refreshing of already
>>> cached object and gives from the cache. However, if the object is
>>> not
>>> cached, it try to look for the object thru direct or cache peer. Do
>>> you have any suggestions for implementing a "completely offline"
>>> state
>>> with current squid parameters to prevent attempts to get uncached
>>> objects, also
>>>
>> this feature is not part of squid anymore.
>> there are other solutions for this kind of cache out there.
>
> willing to hear about those.
>
>> squid tries to be a more http friendly cache then just "cache all
>> and ask
>> questions later".
>>
>> If you have a case when you need to cache more object squid can have
>> more
>> strict cache acls for that.
>
> What I ask is not that. I only ask squid not to forward requests to
> anywhere even the content is not cached (not available). (This puts
> lots of latency during offline_mode on and internet is disconnected.)

Double-check your network to ensure that ICMP protocol is permitted.
When TCP connectivity is unavailable routers use ICMP to inform end
programs such as Squid that connection has failed. Squid 3.2.1 will
cycle through the IPs quickly in this event and respond without lag
(older squid will cycle but may do so multiple times with longer
timouts).

Also, check that DNS is responding quickly even during external network
outage. Otherwise there is nothing Squid can do about the lag.

Amos