Re: [squid-users] UDP_MISS and TCP_MISS

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:36:23 +1200

On 12.09.2012 04:21, grant lowe wrote:
> Ok. I changed the line to go to port 80, instead of port 3128. I read
> that that is a better choice since this is a reverse proxy. Here's
> the
> line I changed:
>
> cache_peer prdseoproxy02.corp.bbi.com sibling 80 3130
>
> But I'm still having grief. Sending a song to the first sibling gives
> a TCP_MISS. The other sibling gives a UDP_MISS. Sometimes I see this:
>
> 1347379698.716 0 10.2.12.185 TCP_MEM_HIT/200 583 GET
>
> http://prdseoproxy02.corp.bbi.com/squid-internal-periodic/store_digest
> - HIER_NONE/- application/cache-digest

A successful digest exchange.

> But not always. Ready to pull my hair out!

Why are you so frustrated? you are telling us about success after
success and saying they are "wrong".

  * IMPORTANT details: *_MISS is a ***WORKING*** test. No amount of
connectivity will make it work better. Storage and message headers are
the details to focus on to change them into HITs.

  * your squid configuration earlier was accurate and should have been
working if the surrounding network (ie firewalls, routing, IP ranges
etc) was working in accordance with the squid.conf details provided.

  * having things only work when you use port-80 as opposed to any other
port smells like firewall rules getting in the way to me.

  * having forward proxy traffic (between the proxies is all
'forward'/proxy HTTP format messages) going to a reverse proxy is not
good. Works, but the reverse-proxy implicit assumptions can cause issues
with URLs.

  * what do the failures *exactly* look like? what *exactly* were you
expecting to see?

Amos