Re: [squid-users] Chaining url_rewrite_programs

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:44:38 +0300

On 9/21/2012 7:19 PM, Eric Nichols wrote:
> Can we chain using a combination of the zapchain script and the
> custom.plexample from this link
> http://www.powershelladmin.com/wiki/Linux_squid_proxy_url_rewriting_or_redirection
> by
> specifying this in the squid.conf?
>
> url_rewrite_program /opt/zapchain/zapchain /opt/custom/custom.pl
> /opt/websense/websense
> or
> url_rewrite_program (/opt/zapchain/zapchain /opt/custom/custom.pl
> /opt/websense/websense)
>
> Can anyone recommend another approach?
No you cant do it this way.
The more reasonable way to handle these services is ICAP or external_acl.

using squid 2.6 is fine and everything but it's really old.

you can use these same scripts on any newer version of squid so you can
migrate to at least 3.1 if you dont want to jump into the latest 3.2.1
stable.

I suggest you to take a look at qlproxy which gives a lot using ICAP.

If you are paying for websense it will be sensible to talk with the
company and ask to migrate from url_rewrite into external_acl.

You can write some one to all these wrappers if you want but i really
think it's a bad idea for performance.

Regards,
Eliezer

--