[squid-users] Slow memory leak

From: <tcr_at_raynersw.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:11:56 -0700

Reposting this because I posted the original via the nabble site and it didn't get mailed out to the list....

I posted a while ago about this but didn't get any replies. I run squid servers which handle heavy sustained traffic (50-100Mbps per server is not unusual). The squid processes' memory footprints all grow without bounds. I am running various different Squid versions from 2.7 to 3.2.1 on the different servers, and all versions exhibit this problem.

I have tried all the debugging steps I've been able to find- playing around with cache sizes, changing the memory directives in the conf files, etc. It just looks like a plain old leak though, because these processes will exhaust 16GB of RAM over the course of a week. When I look at the cache mgr info page, its accounting of memory usage is nowhere near the actual size shown in top.

As for my config, the servers are IPv4 only, they grant access based on a lengthy ACL of allowed IPs. This ACL comes from a text file.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. If not, can someone at least tell me how to best go about debugging a leak in squid? I am ok with poking around in valgrind or whatever, but I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction to start.

Thank you.
-Ty