Re: [squid-users] general question

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:20:12 +0200

On 10/4/2012 11:24 AM, Fuhrmann, Marcel wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> i’m using squid proxy and i’m satisfied with it ☺
> At work a discussion has started to use a FortiGate 200C as proxy and detaching squid.
> I not sure what a FortiGate is able to do, but I hope squid does it better ;)
>
> Can somebody give me some argumentation to put squid in a better light?
> Maybe I can use some squid performance data?
> I claim that caching is surely no topic, isn’t it?
>
> Maybe I can use the FortiGate for AV or blocking Websites and squid “only” for caching websites.
>
> Thanks for any information.
>
> --
> Marcel

Hello Marcel,

The FortiGate 200C is strictly a security product while squid main goal
is web caching.
They can work together and squid as caching proxy.

squid performance depends on the hardware you use it on.
most of the decent machines these days can give to a modern ISP network
good performance.

how to do it? this depends only on you FortiGate setup.

Regards,
Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru