Re: [squid-users] reloading settings on a regular basis

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:42:13 +1300

On 5/10/2012 4:36 a.m., E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/10/1 Amos Jeffries:

>>> Great.
>>> So just to summarize:
>>> - Reloading often is bad, use smartly structured ext_acls instead.
>>>
>>> As far as how we do it, we don't use tproxy, we have a class B for
>>> ourselves so internally, so the user facing proxy that needs to handof
>>> information about a forced plan because of some location does that
>>> through the IP it presents to the parent.
>>
>> This is questionable practice. Does the information have to be passed as an
>> IP or would using TOS values to mark the service type for particular
>> handling work with your other infrastructure?
> Well this is what we need to do for one of our ISPs and I saw no
> reason not to use the same technique internally, what's bad about
> conveying that info like that?

"questionable". IPv4s are running out, and how many does this one server
consume?

It also limits the connection count since each IP is locked to one user
who woudl be using not many ports out of the 64k that IP would otherwise
make available.

> Also I don't see any ACL that in turn allows me to do stuff on the
> parent based on the TOS set by the child cache...

That is a probem. I was of the understanding this was a single proxy
layer with upstream routes. The OS routing systems should be fully
capable of receiving TOS values from Squid and routing traffic based on
them.

Amos