Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2 source repository for ubuntu 12.04

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:06:22 +1300

On 11.10.2012 11:33, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/8/29 Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
>> On 29.08.2012 13:21, Bambang Sumitra wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is there any ubuntu source repository for squid version 3.2?
>>> i have found this link
>>> https://launchpad.net/~yadi/+archive/ppa
>>> but its only provide 3.1, and also i found this link
>>> https://launchpad.net/~m-k-edwards/+archive/squid
>>> there is squid 3.2 ubuntu source but only for one iric
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Bambang
>>

>> As yet no. My (~yadi) repo is built in collaboration with the Debian
>> maintainer to ensure package compatibility. Neither of us have had
>> time
>> recently to work on it.
>>
>> When building the 3.1.20 packages it became clear that changes to
>> the
>> packaging system software is going to make the newer package builds
>> difficult to back-port to the older distro versions for both Debian
>> and
>> Ubuntu. I'm not sure at this point how or when that will be
>> resolved.
>>
>> If it is urgent, you are of course able to self-compile 3.2 and drop
>> in the
>> resulting squid3 binary over any older squid3 package binary.
>>
>> Amos
>>

> I hope it's okay to revive such an old thread.

No problem.

> I am basically curious in general do you recommend your ppa or the
> official version of the package?

If the official suits your needs use that. Mine are built straight from
the Debian package without specific Ubuntu patches for upstart or the
Ubuntu security maintenance and upgrade process from 2.7->3.1 which
Ubuntu have done.

> Currently your PPA is at 3.1.20 which does not exist for 12.04 but
> does exist in 12.10 so theoretically it is also possible to "just"
> pull that package from 12.10 and install it on the older Ubuntu's (or
> in Debian pull it from sid and install on stable/testing)

I was planning to get the newer packages in there for everything back
to 10.04. However it turned out the Debian packaging system now has some
major design changes for multi-arch and integration which are not
supported by the older Ubuntu and I no longer have any machines old
enough to build the source packages necessary. Short of building my own
PPA versions of the whole apt / dpkg build system for install there is
nothing I can do about it.

> Also for which versions is it going to be harder to build? Is even
> backporting to 12.04 (the current LTS and latest release for another
> 1-2 weeks) going to be hard? Or is it just the older versions?

 From the upstream source it is no harder to build the latest versions
than older ones.
 From .deb-src packages is problematic due to the dpkg-build changes.

I can even give you a copy of my packaging directory and patches if you
want to build your own packages of the newer source on the older
machine.

Amos