Re: [squid-users] Newbie: Use Squid to provide intermediate proxy with proxy bypass list?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:07:57 +1300

On 19/10/2012 3:03 p.m., KARR, DAVID wrote:
> I know very little about Squid, except that I can use it to implement a proxy server.
>
> I'm trying to find a workaround to a problem I have with the Android emulator. The emulator can be started either with or without a proxy server host and port, but when the proxy server is provided, I cannot provide a proxy bypass list.

Okay. Question: what type of proxy is it expecting? HTTP or something
else (like SOCKS)? and why do you believe you need a bypass list?

> I'm trying to use the emulator to test a web site use case that consists of one or more pages that don't require a proxy, along with at least one page that does require a proxy. Because I can't set a proxy bypass list in the emulator, this test case won't work.
>
> I wondered if it is possible to set up an intermediate proxy, running either on localhost or on another box I control, such that this proxy just connects to another proxy, but it also has a proxy bypass list. I would then use this intermediate proxy instead of the downstream one.
>
> It seems like this would solve my problem. Am I misguided?
>
> If this is a reasonable thing to do, and will likely solve my problem, is it practical to do this with Squid? Is there a different open-source framework I should use instead of Squid?

HTTP is stateless with proxy designed into the base protocol
specification as *optional*. Requiring a proxy or requiring ones absence
is both a violation of HTTP. Requiring a particular path of servers to
be taken is also a protocol violation. The client makes a request and
the recipient (proxy or server) determines how it is delivered - and
even *if* it is delivered.

Amos