Re: [squid-users] "Reserved number of file descriptors" sudden increase

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:06:57 +1300

On 23/10/2012 7:53 p.m., "RODRIGUEZ CEBERIO, Iņigo" wrote:
> Thank you for replying so quickly. I'll upgrade my squid.
>
> However, in this case we have in use 2673 from 4096 and the squid is stuck because of the reserved number of file descriptors rises from 100 to 1400.

Oh right yes, Squid will start limiting inbound accepted connections
when it reaches the reserved limit.

The Reserved FD starts at 100 default value and ONLY increases when
socket() and dup2() operations which create new sockets start to fail.
When that happens it is a strong sign that the OS cannot handle that
many sockets, and Squid limits itself to reserve the unused ones.

I don't see any code to reduce the number - which worries me. Maybe you
hit a fluke occurance of socket() errors and are now stuck with a large
reserved set.

Amos