[squid-users] feature request: setting location of coordinator.ipc and kidx.ipc during runtime?

From: Rietzler, Markus \(RZF, SG 324 / \) <markus.rietzler_at_fv.nrw.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:38:20 +0000

hi,

we want to use squid with smp workers.
workers are running fine. now also logroate works (although not as expected. see my other mail "[squid-users] question of understanding: squid smp/workers and logfiles", works only with access_log for each worker not one single one).

now there is only one problem.

when we compile squid we use

        ./configure --prefix /default/path/to/squid

in our production environment squid lies under a different path (eg. /path/to/squid). we also use several instances of squid, etc. one internet, one intranet, one extranet etc. each one with its own directory structure like etc, run, log, cache etc.

via squid.conf we can set every required path (log, log_file_daemon, icons, error, unlinkd etc) but not for the ipc-location.

in src/ipc/Port.cc the location is hardcoded:

const char Ipc::coordinatorAddr[] = DEFAULT_STATEDIR "/coordinator.ipc";
const char Ipc::strandAddrPfx[] = DEFAULT_STATEDIR "/kid";

I can patch src/ipc/Makefile to have localstatedir point to a other dir then /default/path/to/squid/var (that's how localstatedir will be expanded in the Makefile). but this is not really what we want. we want to be able to have the location set via squid.conf or environment var during runtime.

we tried to use something like

const char Ipc::coordinatorAddr[] = Config.coredump_dir "/coordinator.ipc";

but then we get compile erros.

is it possible to create some patch to have to set the location of ipc-files during runtime.

thanxs

Markus Rietzler
<rietzler_software/>
Rechenzentrum der Finanzverwaltung