Re: [squid-users] squid 3.2 cache mechanism - not working properly compare to 3.1 series

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 00:30:03 +1300

On 26/10/2012 12:06 a.m., Ben wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> For my curiosity, I again checked same traffic with 3.1.19 and it is
> working fantastic.
>
> I really feel that, in 3.1.19 squid caching performance is superb
> while considering 3.2.3.
>
> I would request that once you verify caching mechanism of 3.2.3 with
> 3.1.19. I mean some changes are there at code level or something.

We verify against the HTTP RFC 2616 caching requirements directly. Both
versions follow slightly different requirements dues to differences in
HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 connection protocol they output. On the whole 3.2
can cache more, but revalidates more often and more strictly at times
than 3.1.

It could be something like the If-* or max-age features the browser is
omitting from 3.1 requests due to HTTP/1.0 being on that connection.
Sadly you will need to use tcpdump to grab headers from 3.1 and it is
not as easy to correlate them in wireshark.

Amos