Re: [squid-users] Radius Accounting!

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 13:55:54 +0200

On 11/7/2012 1:37 PM, Azfar Hashmi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Squid 2.7 Stable9 (Debian Squeeze package) and i am using
> squid_radius_auth helper to perform authentication from radius
> (Freeradius 2.x) and this is working fine. Now the problem is that I
> want to do accounting in radius and for it I need squid to send
> accounting start / stop, interim updates etc to radius but it does not
> sending anything to radius except authentication requests. I want to
> confirm that is it even possible to do it with squid (log session time,
> bandwidth etc in radius)? is there any other radius plugin which can do
> it? or squid simply does not support these things? I can also try to
> hack squid_radius_auth helper code to add this functionality but first I
> need to confirm whether it will worth or squid simply do not support
> such things.
>
> I have also tried pam_auth helper with radius but it made no difference
> as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hey Azfar,

As you may noticed this is auth helper and not related in any way to
accounting.

Squid dosnt have any accounting mechanism else then in delay pools as
far as I can remember.

This can be a nice feature.

Radius accounting usually works on routing basis since it's based on IP
level.
I have been using a bit freebsd with MPD that can work with radius and
accounting.

if you are using sort of LNS you should do it there and not in the squid
machine.

Regards,
Eliezer

--