Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2.2 is available

From: Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt_at_charite.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 11:54:50 +0100

* Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt_at_charite.de>:
> * Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
> > The Squid HTTP Proxy team is very pleased to announce the availability
> > of the Squid-3.2.2 release!
>
> I tried 3.2.2 in the same setup as 3.1.21 - same machine, same
> settings, starting with an empty cache_dir.
>
> While 3.2.2 was working flawlessly during the morning hours (up to about
> 10:30 in the morning), we encountered performance issues when
> approaching noon.
>
> The average service time skyrocketed from a normal average of 40ms to
> about 350ms and users were reporting huge delays.
>
> But why? Are there known performance issues with 3.2?
>
> We're using 4 idential servers in a cluster here, so it's relatively
> easy to reproduce.

Could my performance problems be related to my use of "-N" when
starting squid (from daemontools).

Amos wrote in another thread:

> Because -N means run in the foreground without daemons and workers are
> daemons. upstart, daemontools and other daemon-managers are not able to
> re-start workers when they are hidden away in the background and do not
> play nicely when there is another manager process than themselves.

So, could my use of "-N" to start squid result in some sort of
performance degradation?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt                   Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt_at_charite.de        Campus Benjamin Franklin