[squid-users] HOWTO Limit number of parallel downloads AND accumulated download volume per IP

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 03:01:48 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I am checking the daily download limit per IP via squid by
evaluating the access.log in a script, run be cron.
This had the deficiency of having a delay and only to HIT after completion
of the download.
The delay could be reduced simply by checking the access.log more often, and
by using max_reply_body_size this overextension now is in aceptable range.

However, it seems, some smart guys start several downloads in parallel. Is
there any chance to catch these ones ?
It is not possible to limit connections per IP/user, because this would harm
standard browsing.
I am already using delay_pools, to throttle the downloads, which means,
these paralle downloads last quite some time.

So, something like identification of several long lasting connections for
the same client would be a possibility, I guess, but how to do this one
using squid ?