RE: [squid-users] Problem publishing on Facebook via Squid 3.1.2

From: Delisle, Marc <Marc.Delisle_at_cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:02:34 +0000

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Delisle, Marc [mailto:Marc.Delisle_at_cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca]
Envoyé : 28 novembre 2012 10:48
À : squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
Objet : RE: [squid-users] Problem publishing on Facebook via Squid 3.1.2

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Amos Jeffries [mailto:squid3_at_treenet.co.nz] Envoyé : 27 novembre 2012 17:40 À : squid-users_at_squid-cache.org Objet : Re: [squid-users] Problem publishing on Facebook via Squid 3.1.2

On 28.11.2012 09:00, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> You will like to allow for your environment more then 8192 FD.
> I would suggest to jump to something like 65535 as a starter and use
> half of it for the soft and the full to hard.
>
> This is the basic tuning for such a system for this amount of users.
> 2700 with about 100 per sec can be the culprit.
> you can use squidclient mgr:SOMETHING
>
> and the command:
> lsof -n |grep proxy | wc -l
> to see how many basically are opened.
>
> Regards,
> Eliezer

Note that 130 req/sec mentioned earlier equates to almost 8K active sockets. So it is *very* likely this is one of the traffic bottlenecks in your proxy. When you increase the FD available you can expect to see higher and faster spikes in traffic req/sec going through Squid. This is normal and a Good Thing, the client browsers are getting faster service time and can place more requests to complex sites in those shorter duration peaks.

I would also ensure that persistent connections are enabled for both client and server connections. If you have them disabled your Squid will cause a lot of the machine network sockets to be stuck in TCP's 15min TIME_WAIT period and unusable to any process.

These two changes alone may fix your FB issue. Their uploader is a bit sensitive to connection speed as it re-codes whatever the upload is on the fly. If not you will likely benefit from also adding the HTTP/1.1 improvements available in 3.2 series, which allow a lot more automatic optimization on sites with traffic profiles like FB.

Amos
---
Thanks Amos,
My max FD is now 65535 and client_persistent_connections and server_persistent_connections are still at their default value "on". I have seen no improvement with Facebook so I'll try Squid 3.2.3.

Marc Delisle
-------

We are now running with Squid 3.2.3 and 65535 file descriptors: same problem with Facebook. Are there special settings to use, to benefit from HTTP/1.1 improvements?