[squid-users] how do you deploy after building squid yourself?

From: carteriii <web_s_at_tcarter.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:07:19 -0800 (PST)

I have successfully built squid from source and would appreciate some "best
practice" advice for deploying it to production servers. My environment is
Ubuntu 12.04 but most of the advice I seek is general. In particular, I'm
looking for advice on things like...

1.) Do you first install the default package for your linux distribution in
order to get and use default upstart jobs, scripts, etc.?

2.) If the answer to #1 is yes...

2a) Do you then replace the default binaries with the ones you built or do
you run out of your own "build" structure location (presumably changing the
paths in the default installation scripts)?

2b) The default Ubuntu binaries and directories use the name "squid3"
whereas the default source build of squid produces binaries and directories
named "squid" (without the "3"). How do you handle that and what other
implications are there to the name difference?

3.) If the answer to #1 is no...

3a) How do you start/stop/manage the process?

3b) What else have you had to change?

I installed the default squid package on a dev server and then changed the
paths in /etc/init/squid.conf to run everything from the path of my build.
Generally this seems to work, except two things bother me.

a.) My build runs as nobody:nobody whereas the default package runs as
proxy:proxy. I realize this is more of a generic linux/Ubuntu question, but
how or where does the default package specify that it is to run as
proxy:proxy?

b.) I checked the filelist of the Ubuntu distribution of squid3
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386/squid3/filelist) and see a number
of other files that I would not have thought to consider, such as the file
in /etc/logrotate.d/squid3. This also made me realize that my log files are
being written to the path mybuild/var/logs rather than to Ubuntu's more
standard /var/log/squid3. I have not specified an "access_log" option for
either installation, so what is determining the logfile path?

Thanks in advance.