[squid-users] Reduce cache peer connection timeout

From: Paul Ch <sima_yi_at_operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 02:02:53 +0000

Hi,

I have a squid 3.2 server setup as a reverse proxy forwarding to several
web servers.
If one of these web servers is shut down and a user attempts to access
it, the client's browser waits 110-120 seconds before displaying the
ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD message.

I would like to reduce this time down to 15 seconds rather than over 100
but would still like the ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD message to be displayed.

How would i go about doing this?

I have tried adding forward_timeout 10.00 second to the top of my
squid.conf file. This works however after 11 seconds, chrome displays
chrome displays: "No data received" "Error 324(net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)
and firefox displays "The connection was reset.".

I would like them to display ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD instead.

I am guessing forward_timeout is not what I want (since its default
setting is 4 minutes so this is probably not what is happening after 110
seconds anyway).

Any idea how I can set this up?

Cheers!

                          wherever you are