[squid-users] upload bandwidth control and delay pools

From: Nick Rogers <ncrogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:03:41 -0800

Hi,

I have a question concerning delay pools and upload bandwidth control.
I know in the past with squid 2.x and earlier 3.x versions, it was not
possible to restrict upload bandwidth (squid requests to web servers)
using delay pools.

However, now there is a feature that is new to me, client delay pools,
which appears to insert bandwidth buckets between a client and squid.
Can someone please explain the difference between the old delay pools
feature and the newer client delay pools directive? As I understand,
the old delay pools affects traffic between a remote webserver and
squid, and the new client delay pools affects traffic between squid
and the client. I am curious what the different primary use cases are
between the two.

And finally, is there now a way to limit upload rate using squid,
where upload is from the perspective of the client (e.g., end-user
uploading a file to a webserver)?

Thanks much.

-Nick