Re: [squid-users] upload bandwidth control and delay pools

From: Nick Rogers <ncrogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 12:03:26 -0800

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 3/01/2013 6:03 a.m., Nick Rogers wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question concerning delay pools and upload bandwidth control.
>> I know in the past with squid 2.x and earlier 3.x versions, it was not
>> possible to restrict upload bandwidth (squid requests to web servers)
>> using delay pools.
>>
>> However, now there is a feature that is new to me, client delay pools,
>> which appears to insert bandwidth buckets between a client and squid.
>> Can someone please explain the difference between the old delay pools
>> feature and the newer client delay pools directive? As I understand,
>> the old delay pools affects traffic between a remote webserver and
>> squid, and the new client delay pools affects traffic between squid
>> and the client. I am curious what the different primary use cases are
>> between the two.
>

> The primary use-case is upload vs download traffic. The server pools
> restrict what gets read from the server. The client pools restrict what gets
> read from the client. Write restrictions are still dependent on TOS / QoS
> setup.
>

>> And finally, is there now a way to limit upload rate using squid,
>> where upload is from the perspective of the client (e.g., end-user
>> uploading a file to a webserver)?
>

> No. more correctly it is end-user uploading to Squid which is limited.
>
> Large uploads which are short-circuited by HITs, server connection errors,
> auth challenges, or ICAP/eCAP rejected have large amounts of traffic which
> only gets delivered to Squid and then dropped.
>
> Amos

Thanks for clarifying. So client_delay_parameters affects speed of an
end-user uploading to squid (i.e., client requests and uploads) and
delay_paramaters affects speed of squid downloading from a server?

Does client_delay_parameters affect speed of transferring a file from
squid to an end-user (e.g., when serving cached content)?

If a file that is cached is requested by an end-user (i.e., not
retrieved from a remote web server), does delay_paramaters have any
effect?

-Nick