Re: [squid-users] websites not responding

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:55:51 +1300

On 9/01/2013 5:27 p.m., Simon Matthews wrote:
> I am finding that some websites do not respond when queried through squid.
>
> I looked at this page, which suggests some solutions:
> http://squidproxy.wordpress.com/2007/06/05/thinsg-to-look-at-if-websites-are-hanging
> but I don't think it gives any useful suggestions. I tried setting the
> mss to 1200 without success.
>
> The basic reason that I don't think these suggestions are appropriate
> for the problems I am seeing is simply that queries from the same
> machine using telnet or wget (but not from squid) do get responses, so
> the problem appears to be related to squid, rather than the networking
> setup.

So where are the packets disappearing?

The article is a bit old but those are still the main reasons. Nowdays
things are also compounded by IPv6 and ICMPv6 packets also having
ECN/PMTU/WSS issues, you need to check whether Squid is performing IPv4
or IPv6 then followup carefully in each of those protocols. Note that
wget and telnet can easily use a different version of IP with better
results.

If you can mention some specific sites (or better specific URLs) which
are failing maybe someone can take a look and see if its just your or a
bigger issue.

Amos