Re: [squid-users] Squid as transparent proxy show squid error pages in browser

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:15:19 +1300

On 10/01/2013 2:03 p.m., Frantisek Remias wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to show custom error page when site is unavailable. It works
> good when I set browser to use proxy but not as transparent proxy
> (shows default browser error message)

You need to find out why the display is different. If the response from
Squid is identical there is no reason to expect any difference in the
browser behaviour there.
So, what different response is Squid sending to the browser? with 3.1
the easiest way is to use the browsers developer tools (or the firebug
plugin in Firefox).

> Can it be done so it will show the custom error pages also as
> transparent proxy? I have read to add some bypas iptables rules, but
> I dont how exactly the rules should look like?

bypass is to prevent the proxy receiving the requests. It has nothing to
do with HTTP page content.

> I am using debian Linux and squid 3.1.6
>
> Thank You

Amos