Re: [squid-users] Web page shaping and editing HTML

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:30:32 +1300

On 11/01/2013 11:36 a.m., Girts Laudaks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions how to use squid to add HTML elements to third party webpages?

Squid does not support altering the message content for some very good
reasons. Both legal and technical.

Legal: Find a good lawyer and investigate the legaity of changing other
peoples copyrighted design and artwork then presenting your copy under
their name.

> An example - if a web page is served trough our squid proxy, we add few HTML elements before the third party web page html body closing tag and send it back to the client. So Squid wouldn't do any content caching - just adding few lines of HTML code.

Technical: There is no concept of "page" in HTTP. What you think of as a
page is a collection of multiple objects. *zero* or more may be using
HTML markup, and these are not necessarily related to the index layout
object used by the URL requested by the client viewer/browser.

What exactly is your use-case for doing this?

PS. a lot of use-cases for editing content are better handled by a HTTP
redirect operation pointing clients at alternative URLs for display
based on some criteria.

Amos