Re: [squid-users] DNS lookup error

From: dweimer <dweimer_at_dweimer.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:18:53 -0600

On 2013-01-14 12:47, Loïc BLOT wrote:
> You must set and append_domain for FQDN use:
>
> # TAG: append_domain
> # Appends local domain name to hostnames without any dots in
> # them. append_domain must begin with a period.
> #
> # Be warned there are now Internet names with no dots in
> # them using only top-domain names, so setting this may
> # cause some Internet sites to become unavailable.
> #
> append_domain .mydomain.tld
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Loïc BLOT, UNIX systems, security and network expert
> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>
> Le lundi 14 janvier 2013 à 18:47 +0100, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've got a weird issue I have no starting point:
>> Squid 3.0 is running as a transparent proxy on one host. When I
>> lookup a
>> localhost e.g. mail (like in mail.example.com) I've got a IP, but
>> when I
>> ask Squid to connect to http://mail it's just giving me an
>> DNS-error.
>> I've set dns_nameservers with a valid DNS as well as
>> visible_hostname to
>> the name of the host running Squid. How is DNS resolving working on
>> Squid and how I maybe can debug this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank

If you do, for some reason have a requirement to make it work with out
a DNS suffix, you can add an entry for the short host name in your
systems hosts file. Had to do this on a white list proxy server I use
for limited access terminals as I can't seem to convince people entering
data into our intranet servers that using the FQDNS is the right way to
create links.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer