Re: [squid-users] Re: Maximum Resident Size

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:01:01 +1300

On 14/01/2013 12:10 p.m., M A Young wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, csn233 wrote:
>
>> On some machines, this number after service startup is small. Whereas
>> others are larger than the total machine memory. I'm using exactly the
>> same squid.conf when making the comparison.
>>
>> How is this number determined? Is this a maximum that the Squid
>> process will potentially grow to?

It is the maximum memory so far consumed by Squid.

>> I have one machine where the squid process grows progressively, and
>> eventually starts swapping and requiring a service restart when Squid
>> process RSS nears machine memory. My cache_mem has been reduced to
>> 1/16th of machine memory, so this is not the cause of the problem.
>
> It is probably a memory leak. Squid's memory management fools C++'s
> automatic memory clean up so it is prone to leaks if objects aren't
> explicitly cleaned. I know of one still unfixed in 3.2 which was in
> 3.1 as well, and there could easily be others.

Michael: can you point me at that one please? We have just about
finished another round of purging memory leaks and other types of leaks
in 3.2 and 3.3.

> Cachemgr's mem option might give you some idea of what objects are
> leaking, particularly if you have other caches to compare with.
>
> Michael Young

csn233: please try the latest 3.2 series release of Squid and see if
this problem is resolved. If not please supply the cachemgr "mem" report
listing what memory usage Squid is allocating to each object type.

Amos