[squid-users] Winter cleanup and policy changes for the the Squid Wiki

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 11:04:24 +0100

Hi all,
  for the past few months the squid wiki has been subject to attempts
of drive-by spam. While the attempts have largely failed in their
intent, they drive me, as wiki administrator, to some policy changes.
Such changes are intended to be temporary, until the wiki platform
will give us better tools to fight such spam attempts.

The policy for creating new users has changed, as detailed in
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/WikiAccountCreation . In short, creating a
new account will require the intervention of an administrator.

The attacks have then left behind about 25000 fake user accounts, and
this is causing performance issues to the wiki itself. Over the
weekend, automated tools will be run to clean the situation up.
All user accounts which have not registered for editing the wiki, have
not subscribed to any wiki page change notification, and have created
no quick-links, will be disabled and deleted.
This should cause no inconvenience to anyone, as the three above are
the only features enabled by having an account.

I'm sorry for any troubles this may cause; anyone having any requests
please contact me off-list.

--
    /kinkie