Re: [squid-users] Single Squid Server for different VLAN

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:21:36 +1300

On 22/01/2013 4:15 a.m., kamaljeet singh wrote:
> Firstly i'm using Windows 2008 Server to set this up.

This is a bit of a handicap. Squid 3.x do not build on Windows (yet) so
that limits you to 2.7 and TOS functionality.

> I'm a starter with Squid so would like to know basic networking/TCP-IP setup of Squid server to enable it to serve two different VLAN simultaneously like:
> 1. Do i need two NIC on squid server to enable it to serve two VLAN?
I do not believe so.

Be aware that these details are completely irrelevant to Squid. All
Squid does is open connections to an IP:port and mark the packets with a
TOS value. The *entirety* of details about NIC and VLAN and routing and
how those connections are delivered is up to your operating system
configuration.

> 2. If answer to 1 is Yes, then what should be the gateway settings for both NIC? Should both NIC have their gateway set?
>
> If Yes, will this configuration work on Windows 2008 Server?
>
> If No, how will Squid server route the traffic from both VLANs?

Squid does nothing about routing packets. Look into your OS
documentation for how to configure packet routing.

Here is the documentation of how Squid sets TOS values on outgoing
server connections:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.7/cfgman/tcp_outgoing_tos.html
   you will need to find documentation of how to use TOS values to route
packets to/from your desired ISP uplinks.

For connections from your VLAN clients you setup an http_port line:
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.7/cfgman/http_port.html

Amos