Re: [squid-users] Re: Splitting objects by size into different cache_dir not working for me

From: Luciano Ruete <luciano.ruete_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:42:48 -0300

Hi,

I've tested with

maximum_object_size_in_memory 64 KB

And now I have both cache_dir AUFS and rock caching objects and growing at the same time, so thanks for that.

But I don't understand the logic behind this, because from the docs about maximum_object_size_in_memory
  you read:

"This should be set high enough to keep objects
accessed frequently in memory to improve performance whilst low
enough to keep larger objects from hoarding cache_mem."

So, i don't see how this can interfere with saving large cache objects into a cache_dir, when the idea of this directive is just preventing larger object to hoarding cache_mem... can you elavorate on this?

If set this to 64 KB... this means that larger objects will not be cached at all? What's the point then of maximum_object_size then?

Because in previous setups i have used squid to cache large objects up to 700MB with success and obviously maximum_object_size_in_memory was never that high, not even close...

Another thing that happens is that rock cache_dir always start from 0 every time squid is restarted, is that the expected behavior? I could not find that info on rock's wiki page[0], maybe is so obvious that no one mentioned it, but it was not so obvious to me.

Thank you very much for your time. Regards.

[0] http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore <http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore>