Re: [squid-users] what should squid -z do

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:37:55 -0700

On 02/03/2013 08:43 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> However, these operations are only needed occasionally and I am hopng to
> build that functionality into a tool outside of the main proxy binary.
> We have a set of *dump tools and the squidpurge tool, an the -z
> functionality which need to be cleaned up and can be aggregated in a
> separate binary. If we do it right that tool can be used safely at any
> time, whether or not Squid is running, and can utilize the UDS sockets
> to update the workers memory indexes as well.

Hi Amos,

    Just wanted to note this in case somebody rushes to help you with
implementing the above: Please keep in mind that a separate tool will
have a hard time working with Squid configuration files that use SMP
macros. Eventually, ufs-based cache_dirs may not need macros, but until
somebody makes that happen, a stand-alone tool would have to deal with them.

I think it would be possible to process cache_dir macros correctly in a
stand-alone, non-daemon tool, even while reusing the core squid.conf
parser, but all that would require extra development work on top of the
primary tool functionality.

Alternatively, the admin can process squid.conf macros using a simple
script and feed macro-free configuration to the tool, but that would
offload macro processing to humans, which is not very nice. Even if we
punt and go this route, some extra work to allow the tool to detect and
reject squid.conf with macros would be a good idea IMO.

Cheers,

Alex.