[squid-users] store_avg_object_size -- default needs updating?

From: Linda W <squid-user_at_tlinx.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:01:56 -0800

Has anyone looked at their average cached object size
lately?

At one point, I assume due to measurements, squid
set a default to 13KB / item.

About 6 or so years ago, I checked mine out:
(cd /var/cache/squid;
cachedirs=( $(printf "%02X " {0..63}) )
echo $[$(du -sk|cut -f1)/$(find ${cachedirs[@]} -type f |wc -l)]
)
--- got '47K, or over 3x the default.

Did it again recently:
310K/item average.

Is the average size of web items going up or are these peculiar to
my users' browser habits (or auto-update programs from windows
going through cache, etc...).

Maybe the default in squid.conf should be bumped?