Re: [squid-users] DNS Queue Remains Filled Issue!

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:36:21 +1300

On 21/02/2013 9:06 p.m., Arshan Awais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a query regarding "DNS Returned Timeout" issue. I have searched over various forums regarding this issue but the solutions described there does not fit my need.
>

> Now coming to the issue, I have configured squid for web caching and allowed just 100MB disk space for caching. When i start proxy, it works fine for some minutes, until all the systems in the network get "DNS Returned Timeout" message in their browsers. This error is gone upon restarting the squid.
>

> I have checked the iDNS status using
>

> #squidclient mgr:idns
>
> I see that initially the queue is empty, but when the timeout error appears in browsers, the queue is filled with around 9 to 10 ids and this queue does not get empty.

Are they the same ones constantly? even after the timeout is reported to
clients?

Or are they a changing set with queries dropping off the set after
timeout? This is the expected behaviour when DNS servers are not
responding.

Can you show us this idns manager report please?

Also try to debug why DNS is not responding immediately. Command line
from the Squid box:
    dig -t AAAA example.com @<your DNS server>
    dig -t A example.com @<your DNS server>

Amoss