Re: [squid-users] Caching online game patches and updates

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:12:32 +1300

On 23/02/2013 4:24 p.m., Firas Mubarak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I work for a small online gaming place, my customers are playing online games there such as WOW or LOL.. As those games has lots of updates I decided to install a squid proxy.
> It works fine caching downloaded files and pages but not caching the game updates. So whenever a new update is there each computer download the same update and kill the bandwidth.
> Is there anyway to force these updates through squid proxy and cache it ?

Maybe and no.

As for caching things. There is no single knob to turn it on that works
universally. Squid already tries to cache everything it can within HTTP
rules. If you could give some details about your setup and the
particular transactions you are wanting to cache we might be able to
point at specific things you can do.
  * check your maximum_object_size limit is big enough to permit storage
of the updates you are trying to cache.
  * "upgrade to the latest release". The old drum being beaten again
but it is still true. Caching is constantly being improved and tweaked
to work with more and more situations. For best caching ability
regardless of configuration the latest releases are better than anything
that comes before and next months releases will be better again.

As for forcing traffic through the proxy. It is possible to intercept
HTTP traffic and force it through Squid, but as always forcing things is
abuse and abuse always causes problems.
You will need to start by identifying the traffic ports the updaters use
and verifying that it is actually HTTP they are communicating with so
that Squid won't simply reject it.

Amos