[squid-users] Re: About bottlenecks (Max number of connections, etc.)

From: Manuel <manuelgarcia_at_trashmail.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:24:47 -0800 (PST)

I have noticed that it always start to fail when there are only available
exactly 3276 file descriptors and 13108 file desc in use. That is almost
exactly 20% free file descriptors. Still it look for me that there is a
problem of not enough file descriptors (just because of the with-maxfd=16384
config in the installation of Squid) but I wonder whether is it normal that
it always stick at that number (and not in something much closer to 0
available file descriptors and 16384 file desc in use). If file desc are the
problem I also wonder why I am not getting any error in the logs while in
the past I did get the "Your cache is running out of filedescriptors" error.
Any ideas?

This was the activity in two different moments and even in different servers
(if I am not wrong), as you can see it stuck in the same number:
Server 1:
        Maximum number of file descriptors: 16384
        Largest file desc currently in use: 13125
        Number of file desc currently in use: 13108
        Files queued for open: 0
        Available number of file descriptors: 3276
        Reserved number of file descriptors: 100
        Store Disk files open: 73
        IO loop method: epoll

Server 2:
        Maximum number of file descriptors: 16384
        Largest file desc currently in use: 13238
        Number of file desc currently in use: 13108
        Files queued for open: 0
        Available number of file descriptors: 3276
        Reserved number of file descriptors: 100
        Store Disk files open: 275
        IO loop method: epoll

You say that in your slow server you are able to achieve twice req/sec than
in your fastest one but in both cases active connections remain in a max of
around 20k, is it true? How many file descriptors do you reach at that
point? 20000? Those machines are also different in RAM? How important is the
RAM difference for the performance of Squid? According to the bottlenecks
you said, I wonder whether from 2 GB onwards the rest of the RAM is useless
or not for Squid.

Thank you Amos