[squid-users] transproxy message for https

From: James Harper <james.harper_at_bendigoit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 05:15:09 +0000

Is there a mechanism by which I can intercept port 443 and alert the user that a proxy is required, eg if they try to go to https://www.apple.com then they get redirected to a website with instructions on how to configure their device (iphones in this case) to the proxy.

https is supposed to be secure end-to-end so I'm guessing no, but thought maybe something might be in the spec for captive portals etc. Currently users get a wall of nothing then a timeout error without having a clue what is going wrong.

Thanks

James